Tuesday, August 28, 2007

T-3 Days and Counting


I leave for India on Thursday morning. I've started to... I take that back, have been freaking out for a while about leaving. Despite all of my world travellerness and bravado, this will be a first for me on many levels.

1. First time I change airports in London by myself (doesn't seem like a big deal, but I can't really miss my plane).
2. First time I've travelled to a third world(ish?) country by myself.
3. First time I've travelled somewhere that I don't know anyone. Well, that's not entirely true. There are family of some friends of ours in Saudi who live there, so I guess I'm not totally alone.

It's a little bit strange how travel kind of just happens for me. Since I've been planning this trip, many people have told me how much they want to go to India, have always dreamed of going to India, want to take pictures of India, etc. In fact, get this, Mrs. Julie Zeringue loves India and watches Bollywood movies! She even knows what Indian state Chennai is located in... I feel bad now for thinking that she wouldn't even know where India is. She beat me...I didn't know where Chennai was until I looked it up. I've never wanted to visit India. India has always seemed like a dirty and crowded place that I wouldn't like. When I applied to Unite for Sight, I just assumed that I would be assigned to the Ghana clinic. I was actually suprised when I found out I was going to India. I think it's good for me though. I've never understood why some people say "Lord, I'll go anywhere... just don't send me to Africa". Africa doesn't seem like such a big deal for me. But now that I think about it, India is my Africa.

I don't know how much I'll get to post while I'm there, but I'll try to post (with pictures) as much as possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhh, paulajohns you make me happy... :) do you remember my distress over the apparently "antiquated" term Third World? Ahhh, good times. I'm sad I'm not going to India but I've told you that before. But when I really think about it I'm in Race City USA and you can't get much more exotic than that...