Friday, September 7, 2007

Camps, camps and more camps

Yesterday, I watched a woman lose her bellybutton.

Instead of the tummy tuck, we ended up watching a hernia surgery. By watch I mean look over the doctors shoulder as he did surgery. INCREDIBLE! I got to watch the whole entire thing. They cut in a oval around her belly button and then just took it off. The doctor kept up a running commentary of what he was doing. I was the only volunteer who knew what the omentum was... Thanks Dr. Jones! Well, I can't really brag, because I forgot what the layers of the spinal cord were... we watched a doctor give an epidural as well.

Anyway, today we had a camp at a school way far out of town. Well, it might have actually been close miles-wise, but it took forever to get to. And people only drive like 25 miles an hour here. We screened a bazillion kids. I did my best pointing at the eye chart like a professional. I have a really crucial job here. How else would the kids know which letter to read?

There is a camp tomorrow as well. I'm happy to stay busy.

I did laundry the other day. This consists of filling a bucket with water (these are very handily provided in the bathroom, also used in taking a shower), putting in the Woolite, and squeezing every item of clothing within an inch of its life. Then, the clothes are rinsed and hung up to dry. I fashioned a clothesline out of my shoe strings. Worked pretty well! Drying my t-shirts took about 48 hours. It's really humid.

That's all for now. I'm off to the grocery store to get some Sprite (and toilet paper, because that's not included). I'm still trying to get used to the fact that people eat with their hands and don't use toilet paper. That was true in Saudi too, but I didn't really think about it. Here, people eat everything with their hands. You'll see guys eating from a roadside vendor just shoveling rice into their mouths. Once again, I thank the Lord for hand sanitizer daily.

I've started reading Desiring God during my afternoons. I'm enjoying it. I'm aiming to finish it before I leave. Okay, I'm really done. There's no A/C in here and it's HOT.

No comments: