Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Suturing... a bit of a let down

Today we observed cataract surgeries and practiced our suture skills.

Suturing was basically sewing with a small needle. Pretty hard but not that exciting. Especially since I only got to do one stitch. I think the Dr. was in a bit of a hurry to get out of there. We have camp tomorrow.

Speaking of camp. At the camp yesterday I was really suprised at the ungratefulness of the people. By ungratefulness I mean storming the glasses station and demanding more "fashionable" glasses (with the exception of the lady who wanted less fashionable ones, then more, then less...). These people are getting glasses for free (reading glasses for most of them so they don't even wear them all the time!) and they constantly complained and griped to us about the glasses that we gave them. They wanted the glasses that their friend had, why couldn't they have those glasses... one guy even stormed out after we couldn't give him different glasses.

I wish that we could accomodate everyone and give them the glasses of their dreams. But we can't. So it's discouraging to drive hours on a dirt road through rice fields and finally get to the camp and have people fussing at you because they don't like the glasses. Fine, just don't take them. Doesn't bother me if you can't see!

To be fair, most people are grateful. This village seemed to be the exception rather then the norm. I guess this is part of the learning experience that I signed up for.
I'm glad I have this opportunity. That's all for now.

No comments: